[OpenIndiana-discuss] RFC: OI website brain storm page

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Fri Feb 18 14:12:55 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 13:45 +0000, Matt Wilby wrote:
> On 18/02/2011 13:34, Dmitry G. Kozhinov wrote:
> > I have already said that the OpenIndiana project definitely needs a
> > forum (not just mailing list), because many people do not want to
> > subscribe to a mailing list, and want to keep their mailboxes free
> > from regular mailing. They would be happy though to look into a forum
> > when they want to.
> >
> > I have contacted Alasdair directly about this some time ago, but did
> > not get any reply.
> >
> > I vote for forum.
> >
> > Dmitry.

> >> Can anyone actually sign up? Had a permissions problem just a moment
> >> ago.
> >>
> >> Idea: have an OI Forums page, like ubuntuforums.org, if one doesn't
> >> already exist.
> >>
> >> That will massively aid people making the switch, not just a 'from
> >> Linux to OI' page.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Gerald

> Hi Dmitry,
>
> A web based forum is being considered as part of the website re-design.
>
> It was discussed in the last oi-meeting, and was on the agenda for
> several weeks. I have also added it to the suggestion list.
>
> Alasdair is a busy guy. He will get round to replying to you when he can.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Phorum is a lean, mean, yet still featured forum package. Relatively
good security track record as well, at least for a php based app.

I have used several over the years and Phorum would be on my short list
for something like this, i.e. don't more knowledge and info based than
recreational.  I suggest you include it in your evaluations.

Also, there are many excellent CMS's out there which would ease the
burden of keeping things up to date greatly.  I would recommend taking a
good look at Drupal.  That way web dev's can focus on backend
development and documentation oriented folks can focus on creating
documents.

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>