[OpenIndiana-discuss] Multifunction colour laser printer, for OSOL, OI ?

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Fri Feb 18 14:32:24 UTC 2011

On 2011-02-18 05:23, Albert Lee wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Hans J. Albertsson
> <hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se>  wrote:
>> Depends on the quality of the print and scan.
>>
>> For my needs, i e any non-critical needs (for the real jobs we have special
>> equipment) I settled on an HP CM1312nfi MFP.
>>
>> It works with OI, and it even says so in the marketing blurbs. (It says
>> solaris, but that's almost as good.)
>>
>> I had no problem, I used it in postscript mode only, until I could get my
>> head around CUPS.
> PostScript (or sometimes PCL, but rarely) is preferred for most
> high-end printers (i.e. all colour lasers)... you just need a print
> filter with some extra descriptive information. CUPS (and the legacy
> Solaris print system if you use the Presto GUI) is point-and-click for
> selecting the right one.

Actually, CUPS+PCL6 produces slightly more predictable colour images
than postscript, for the CM1312
>> Scanning and fax are NOT supported in OI, as far as I can see!
>> I would like to be proven wrong: but xscanimage and xsane just crash.
>> It's not duplex, but I think there's a version for that at another 1-200
>> dollars.
> There's a bug affecting libusb applications that's probably causing
> that crash. Any scanner supported by SANE should work. Faxing from
> printers tends to need proprietary software. You can use a plain fax
> modem, though.

I wish this printer had that neat Xerox capability of emailing a scanned
image (in pdf, at least) to any email address...
That would beat fax hands down.

Xsane apps: would they be able to handle a network printer. i e one with
NO possiblility of connecting via usb?