[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2 small Qs about Sata controllers

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Feb 18 23:41:49 UTC 2011

When looking at motherboard specs and I see this notation:

(Note: Taken from:
  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131655
  Newegg showing  ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX )

  PATA        1 x ATA133 2 Dev. Max

  SATA 6Gb/s  6 x SATA 6Gb/s

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

Question 1)

  pata            1 x ATA133 2 Dev. Max
Does it mean there is only 1 IDE hdd may be installed?

  6x SATA  [...]
Does it mean only 6 sata hdd may be installed?

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

Question 2)

The same spec shows:

  Expansion Slots

  PCI Express 2.0 x16   2

  PCI Express x4        1

  PCI Express x1        1

  PCI Slots             2

Of those choices which is most likely to support (and be found easily)
something like a 6 to 8 port sata controller.

I'm assuming the answer in question 1 (6x sata) will be answered as 6
drives max, and I will have need of at least 8. (4 mirrored
pairs)

However, if the Pata thing supports 2 drives (I happen to have a
matched 500GB pair on hand). Then I could get by with 6 sata
drives but still thinking of expansion...probably good to know which
kind of PCI*(whatever) for use driving a sata controller, to be on the
lookout for.