[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2 small Qs about Sata controllers

Alexander Lesle groups at tierarzt-mueller.de
Sat Feb 19 18:26:11 UTC 2011

Hello Robin Axelsson,

am Samstag, 19. Februar 2011 um 02:14 hat <Robin Axelsson> u.a.
in mid:4D5F197C.4060608 at student.chalmers.se geschrieben:
> I would recommend that you choose a motherboard with more PCIe x16 slots
> (unless you are absolutely sure that you won't need more in the future).
> Then you could get an LSI 1068e based SAS/SATA controller (that uses
> PCIe x8 which fits into a PCIe x16 but not x4 or less) which allows you
> to connect 8 drives to it.

I can not confirm that the LSI 1068e HBA runs with this Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131655
ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX

But I can confirm that the new LSI HBA SAS 9211-8i
http://store.lsi.com/index.cfm?category=17&subcategory=24&productid=LSI00194
do _not_ run with this Board.
LSI support tells me that the Asus PCIe x16 is programmed by BIOS only
for graphic cards.
Asus support send me a modified BIOS but the HBA is not running.

I have the same problems with a asrock board.

Now I have bought a Supermicro Board and all rocks fine.
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#1156
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182212&cm_re=supermicro_x8sil-_-13-182-212-_-Product
Wow its cheaper than the Asus.

--