[OpenIndiana-discuss] Another [OT] Hardware Post

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Feb 20 04:40:54 UTC 2011

Being much a novice in building for a zfs server, I've cobbled up a
setup with one of those build it online setups... on ebay this one
was. But before I plunge for the green backs.  I'd really feel a bit
more confident if a few experienced people ran there eye down the
lineup and see if anything looks like a deal breaker, or needs
changing.

It seems like a decent enough price at 1317 (+ Free shipping) but
again.. I'm not one who would really know if it was or not.

This machine will be used as a home lan zfs server, and will be
handling a fair bit of hefty video and other graphic files since I am
an amateur videographer and need to save certain elements of my
projects for a while after they are sold... A single project can
easily run into a 100GB and more... but usually the parts that need
saving are more like 50-80 gb.

This setup will have the 2 new 1tb discs seen in the build and then

  2 500 gb ide disks
  2 500 gb sata disks
  2 750 gb sata disks

that are still at this moment attached to my old dysfunctional zfs server.

I will set them up in mirrored pairs so will end up with something
like 2.5 TB of usable space. And then of course take off whatever
amount zfs needs for its workings... but anyway it will be a decent
amount of space.

And now the line up:
-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

price:  $1317.00

CONFIGURATION

PARTS: CPU: AMD 64 CPU AM3
       AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz (Six Core) 45nm, AM3 6MB
       Cache

PARTS: Cooling Fans: AMD 64 CPU Fans
       Coolermaster GeminII S, 5 Copper Heat Pipes, Dual Cooler CPU
       fan

PARTS: Motherboards: AMD 64 AM3 Motherboards
       GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H,Onboard Video,HDMI,X-fire,USB
       3.0,SATA3,IEEE

PARTS: Memory: DDR3 Dual Channel memory
       16GB (4x4GB) PC10600 DDR3 1333 Dual Channel

PARTS: Video & TV Cards: PCI-Express Video cards
       NONE SELECTED

,----
| [Aside: the following drives could as well be 2 TB WD green (as the
| 1tb WD black shown below) for an extra $33 per,(total $66), but I was
| not sure if at some point the shear size begins to be a problem by
| itself for things like scrub or resilvering.
|
| Any comments on that would be welcome too.]
`----

PARTS: Hard Drives
       1000.0GB Western Digital Black 7200RPM SATA 3 6.0Gb/s 64m
       cache

PARTS: Hard Drives
       1000.0GB Western Digital Black 7200RPM SATA 3 6.0Gb/s 64m
       cache

PARTS: CD/DVD/R/RW Drives: DVD Recorders
       Lite On 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW

PARTS: Sound Cards
       Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)

PARTS: Networking: Network Cards
       Ethernet network adapter (onboard)

PARTS: Cases / Power Supplies: Cases
       Antec P193 Black Case, Full Tower, 11 bays, front USB & eSATA

PARTS: Cooling Fans: Case Fans
       Dual Case Fans 120 mm Extra Quiet DC fan (two fans)

PARTS: Power Supply
       Corsair 750W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply, SLI & X-fire
       ready

PARTS: Speakers
       Black Multimedia amplified stereo speakers

SOFTWARE: Operating Systems
          NONE SELECTED

PARTS: Assembly and Test
       Standard assembly and test 3-5 business days