[OpenIndiana-discuss] ECC question

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Feb 20 14:31:19 UTC 2011

ECC memory or not, buffered or not.  What does it do/mean

At risk of being stoned for bringing this up again, I am not finding
threads from the past that provide (to me) a basic idea of what the
terms means and what the concepts do.

I'm sure this will sound horribly illiterate in computer tech, but
that is the state of things so here it is:

First, how does ECC and buffered terms fit together?

What is the advantage/disadvantage in practical terms

What does an ignorant end user need to now about this to make sure of
getting the best hardware when building a system dedicated to zfs
server?