[OpenIndiana-discuss] why is OI- illumos based 148a 805mb

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Fri Feb 25 05:38:22 UTC 2011

> We should probably slim the LiveCD down a bit. Presumably if we built 151a consolidations,
> and used distro-const from 151a, we'd end up with a CD rather than a DVD.

I suspect the locale changes necessary for use with illumos may push
this around some.
I had wondered if the over-size was partly an artifact of having both
sets of locale packages
(I would expect other, negative, consequences of this).

Keeping a useful live media on a CD is a never-ending challenge.
A common cause of swelling is autoconf-using software finding new dependencies
and dragging them in (medialib was a common one).  A good way to track
this would be
to first compare the package lists of this media with reference media,
and if that doesn't
show up obvious problems, I think you're stuck comparing on-disk package sizes
(not fun to calculate).

-- Rich