[OpenIndiana-discuss] Explain the Goal of oi

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Sun Feb 27 01:48:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-02-26 at 19:35 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I'm getting a little confused about what OI is trying to do exactly.
>
> I changed to oi with Opensolaris looked untenable due to oracle
> maneuvers, expecting to see a basic continuation of what was happing
> from b 101 up to 134.
>
> I've been seeing little snippets of subjects and the like that seem to
> indicate that oi is merging with Illumini (no sure what that is called
> by full name).
>
> If that is the case what, in general,  will that mean?  I noticed my
> subscription to illuminos-discuss has produced 6 msgs since the end of Jan.
>
> So can someone fill me in, just in general, what the plan is over
> the next yr or so?

OpenSolaris, despite it's name, to the contrary still contained non free
bits that Sun _still_ hadn't gotten around to replacing when Oracle took
over and nuked OpenSolaris.  Illumos is more akin to the Linux kernel -
an open core around which "distributions" may be constructed.  OI aims
to be one such distribution but hasn't quite gotten there yet because
Illumos hasn't quite gotten there yet...  But they're getting closer.
Hence the discussion.  Recently a developer spun an IllumsOS based
OpenIndiana Live Cd, dubbed oi-dev-148a.  Sans the "as" it's still Sun
ON based .

Clear as mud?

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>