[OpenIndiana-discuss] Explain the Goal of oi

Colin Ellis panamayacht at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 13:17:35 UTC 2011

Hi Harry,

I am not surprised you are confused.  The openindiana website is still being
worked on and the question you asked is still difficult to find.

I hope this answers your question:

OpenIndiana provides a complete, ready-to-use operating system
(distribution<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_distribution>)
similar to the OpenSolaris distribution. The Illumos Project develops the
core software for the operating system such as the
kernel<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_%28computing%29>.
As Illumos is not a distribution, OpenIndiana will combine the Illumos core
with additional software that Oracle still develops in the open. This is
analogous to how Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu all use the Linux kernel and
software from the GNU Project, but combine them with additional software to
produce a complete system.

Furthermore, OpenIndiana will be a member of the Illumos Foundation, a
not-for profit legal entity within the United States.

You can find more help in our FAQ in the wiki at:
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Frequently+Asked+Questions/

Best Regards,

Colin Ellis