[OpenIndiana-discuss] Some questions about OpenIndiana

Robert Soubie robert.soubie at free.fr
Sat Jan 1 21:02:29 UTC 2011

Le 31/12/2010 01:32, Jean-Yves Avenard a écrit :

Salut Jean-Yves,

Depending on what you want to do with your system, Solaris Express 11
could be a good choice:

I use it for a home NAS server for Windows and DCC++, with 6TB ZFS
Raidz2 storage, using 6 1.5 TB disks. Since one cannot be too prudent, I
have also built a separated backup system with an old motherboard and 3
RAID-concatenated 2TB disks, and permanent incremental backup
(SyncBackSE by 2BrightSparks). I chose SEx 11 for its maturity as
compared to OpenIndiana's, a criterion that may, and probably will
change soon. If for some reason I have to leave Solaris Express, and
there is no way downgrading the ZFS pool, I'll just recreate it from the
backup. My experience on the current version of Oracle's ZFS is that it
is very safe and reliable, a dream to work with. Consequently, and since
I am not going to use Solaris for anything but the server, I just think
that access to upgrades really isn't a problem.

My one criticism on Solaris Express as a file server is that there is no
decent monitoring software *with a graphic I/F* available for the OS.
You have to run smartmontools by hand - getting the disks to answer
SMART commands is a trial and error process. I personally feel that life
is too short for living it on the command line.

R.

--
Éditions de l'Âge d'Or — Stanley G. Weinbaum
http://www.lulu.com/robert_soubie