[OpenIndiana-discuss] Some questions about OpenIndiana

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 06:24:21 UTC 2011

On 5 January 2011 09:53, Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know I'm biased since I founded OpenIndiana but what you want is OpenIndiana build 148.
>
> Although it's a new project and a development release, it's perfectly stable - my business runs it on multiple production servers, and I run it on my desktop machine at work. I know lots of people that are using it. Our download site, dlc.openindiana.org, does around 4TB per month of data transfer, or around 4000 downloads per month. I'd guess there are between 1000 to 10,000 installs of OpenIndiana in the wild, although that's a finger in the air guestimate based on the download figure.

I did end-up installing OpenIndiana ; and I mentioned a few of the
issues I encountered while using it , in particular related to the use
of samba and ldap authentication.

As such, after days of trying things out, I went the easy way. I built
another PC with enough disk space to make a mirror of my existing
pool. I transferred all the data across (using zfs send/receive) took
much longer than I expected it would).

Next I will be formatting my existing file server pool and recreate it
with a version that is more widely available.
Probably 14 or so, as there are many OS supporting it.

> Nexenta is a good choice, but again it's more of a distro aimed at file servers and the userland software isn't going to be terribly up to date.

I'm currently having a got a nexenta.. the web interface to configure
the thing is very well done.

> OpenIndiana is no more unstable than OpenSolaris was - I've found it to be very stable, and can highly recommend it! :)

thanks.. wonder why you would say that though :)