[OpenIndiana-discuss] Upgrading from 134b to 148 fails

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Thu Jan 6 12:56:13 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm getting very frustrated with OpenIndiana installation issues.  It
works fine in a VirtualBox environment, but I haven't been able to try
it on bare metal.

Thinkpad Z61p running oi_147:
* LiveCD install doesn't recognize built-in keyboard or mouse.
* If updated from repository, boot hangs  Nothing special in kernel
debugging output.

Sun V20z running os_134b:
* Tried to update from repository.  Remove phase had lots of warnings
about directories not empty.  Update phase dies in a python traceback
because a file that it wanted to create already existed.

What are my options for the V20z?  This system is the heart of my home
network, providing DNS, email, file, dhcp, nat, web, etc. services.
This machine started with os_64 and I've never had an upgrade issue like
this.  I don't want to hose this machine trying to get OpenIndiana
installed.  How can I provide information that will help track down the
installation problems?

Thanks,
Gary