[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mesa 7.10 for OI_148

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Jan 12 00:47:29 UTC 2011

On 01/11/11 03:20 PM, ken mays wrote:
> Just reviewed the Mesa 7.10 test builds and packaging for OI_148.

What test builds and packaging are these?   Are these builds you've
made to share with others or just your own private builds?

> Most of the users seem to have either ATI Radeon, Intel, or Nvidia-based GPUs.

That does cover somewhat more than 95% of the modern desktop & laptop market.
Servers often have graphics cards that aren't widespread on the desktop because
they don't have good 3D support, but have good enough 2D to be a local or
remote service console - ATI Rage, Matrox, AST, etc.

> The Intel and Radeon 2D drivers are being updated, but the functionaliity with certain GPUs/cards is somewhat broken and performance regressed in certain configurations. Be aware of this. I don't expect many improvements in this area before the next release of S11X.

Updating the Intel 2D driver to anything much newer than what's currently in
OI will make it non-functional with the current open source kernels from either
OpenSolaris or Illumos - it requires Kernel ModeSetting (KMS) support, that
isn't implemented in either of those yet.   I don't expect any S11X releases
to solve OpenIndiana's problems here.

Illumos has opened a tracker RFE, but I've not seen anyone yet even hint that
they're interested in actually working on it:
	https://www.illumos.org/issues/577

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com