[OpenIndiana-discuss] General ZFS questions

Edward Ned Harvey openindiana at nedharvey.com
Thu Jan 13 02:07:29 UTC 2011

> From: Michelle Knight [mailto:michelle at msknight.com]
>
> It seems that whenever I do a general scrub on a monthly basis on the
> internal
> set, there is always the odd two or three cksum errors floating around. Of
> course, ZFS corrects them. But is this usual? To get a few errors on hard
> drives? Should I expect it to be 0 all the time?

cksum errors always mean hardware (or driver) failure.
If you see cksum errors, then do a zpool clear to make them go away, and
scrub again.  Pay attention if the errors are always on the same device or
not.  If it's always on the same device, replace the device.  If it's not
always on the same device ... Make sure you're backed up, and start
replacing things like sata controllers, performing memory tests, etc.

Ensure you have ECC memory and supported hardware.

> On the external drives, I've just copied a little over 1tb of data and I
think
> I've had about 10 cksum errors after the copy.

Should be zero.  Same as above.