[OpenIndiana-discuss] General ZFS questions (Michelle Knight)

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Thu Jan 13 15:26:42 UTC 2011

  When I was having drive issues like this I had overtaxed my PSU.  I
actually ended up toasting a couple of drives (got real crunchy).  I
reduced the system to 4 drives (I was running 7 at one point) and now I
have had no problems / no freezing.

On 01/13/11 09:56 AM, Michelle Knight wrote:
>> I would be grateful if someone clarified whether this is what Michelle
>> Knight is referring to or the numbers in the CKSUM column.
> Yes, the numbers in the CKSUM column, which trigger repairs during the scrub
> process.
>
>> By last fall I was affected by a number of freezes when accessing the
>> pool over the network. More thorough tests revealed that it was just the
>> storage pool that froze and not the entire system.
> I'm having the whole machine freeze out. Won't even listen to the power
> switch. All terminal sessions freeze and the mouse and keyboard on the console
> are frozen.
>
> The previous freezes happened sometime between half an hour and one and a half
> hours of up time. If she stays up for two hours now with both the backup
> drives disconnected, I'll try a scrub on the main data set. If that works,
> then I'll try copying the data off over a network connection.
>
> If it works after that, then I'm looking at having a problem when the backup
> ZFS pool is connected. This will obviously take more than a few hours to go
> through.
>
> After spome SFTP file transfers, my iostat give this, but I don't know what an
> illegal request number means...
>
> mich at jaguar:~# iostat -En
> c2t0d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
> Vendor: ATA      Product: INTEL SSDSA2M040 Revision: 02HB Serial No:
> Size: 40.02GB<40020664320 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 8 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
> c1t0d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 6 Transport Errors: 0
> Vendor: LITE-ON  Product: DVDRW LH-18A1P   Revision: GL03 Serial No:
> Size: 0.00GB<0 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 6 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
> c2t1d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
> Vendor: ATA      Product: INTEL SSDSA2M040 Revision: 02HB Serial No:
> Size: 40.02GB<40019582464 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 7 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
> c2t2d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
> Vendor: ATA      Product: ST32000542AS     Revision: CC34 Serial No:
> Size: 2000.40GB<2000398934016 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 6 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
> c2t3d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
> Vendor: ATA      Product: ST31500541AS     Revision: CC34 Serial No:
> Size: 1500.30GB<1500301910016 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 6 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
> c2t4d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
> Vendor: ATA      Product: SAMSUNG HD154UI  Revision: 1118 Serial No:
> Size: 1500.30GB<1500301910016 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> [...]

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson