[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana branding

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 20:53:46 UTC 2011

Hi Russell,

On 14 Jan 2011, at 20:19, russell wrote:
<snip>
> This evening when the GLtext screensaver started it was displaying SunOS 5.11, will the default for this screensaver be changed to OI in future.
> At what point in the future will OpenIndiana stop being OpenIndiana bXXX and become OpenIndiana N.n , will you follow the SunOS releases so that OpenIndiana becomes OpenIndiana 5.11 or 1.0?

OpenIndiana is technically SunOS 5.11, and to maintain compatibility we'll be keeping this for the foreseeable future. Perhaps in the very distant future a version bump might occur, but we're talking 5+ years here I imagine.

If the GLText screensaver is displaying "SunOS 5.11", it's because it's using the output from "uname -sr". In theory we could customise the uname string used to something like "OpenIndiana oi_148" instead - if you really care about this by all means feel free to supply a patch.

Our releases will be called, for example, "OpenIndiana 2011.02". The version number reported by "uname -v" would most likely be based on the version the release is based on, for example "oi_148b". This is consistent with the way Sun did things with OpenSolaris.

Cheers,

Alasdair