[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 22:13:50 UTC 2011

On 14 Jan 2011, at 22:02, Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:

> This probably means no live distro. Strictly installable images.
>
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 16:52, Dmitry G. Kozhinov <dima at desktopfay.com> wrote:
>> That is, no GUI?

Yeah that's correct - you can still boot the live CD for oi_148 and subsequent dev builds, but the stable branch would be server oriented.

The reason is that we can't provide security updates for the whole OS - there's not enough man power. Since we're only providing critical security updates for a limited set of server software, it makes sense to only provide the server install media. It's about setting expectations...

Cheers,

Alasdair