[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana branding

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 11:43:24 UTC 2011

On 15 Jan 2011, at 08:33, Jesus Cea wrote:

> On 14/01/11 21:53, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
>> OpenIndiana is technically SunOS 5.11, and to maintain compatibility
>> we'll be keeping this for the foreseeable future. Perhaps in the very
>> distant future a version bump might occur, but we're talking 5+ years
>> here I imagine.
>
> While I support "SunOS 5.11" naming, I am a bit afraid of compatibility
> divergences with the coming Solaris 11, also known as "SunOS 5.11". So
> we will have two different systems reporting "SunOS 5.11" that are not
> actually the same system.
>
> I don't have any better proposal, though. Maybe considering any
> incompatibility with Solaris 11 a "bug to be fixed" could be a good
> advice. Time will tell, I guess.

Changing it would make the situation far worse.

GNU Autoconf scripts (./configure) use the string to determine if it's a Solaris system or not. If we bumped the version or changed it entirely, suddenly thousands (perhaps tens of thousands) of software packages out there would no longer compile on OI.

Changing it is I'm afraid not going to happen for the foreseeable future. But personally I quite like that - it keeps the Sun name around.

Regards,

Alasdair