[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 12:18:54 UTC 2011

On 15 Jan 2011, at 12:05, Dmitry G. Kozhinov wrote:

> Alasdair,
>
> I understand that the proposed stable branch would be minimalistic to save developer time an effort, but isn't there a danger of the opposite - that having two branches would nearly double the labor amount?

Hi Dmitry,

It wouldn't be a minimal distro. We would simply republish oi_148 to /stable, then only update a small set of packages with security updates.

The work involved would be backporting security fixes, recompiling the software and publishing the fixed package to the /stable branch.

It would in no way double the effort involved.

Regards,

Alasdair