[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS channels on restart

Michelle Knight michelle at msknight.com
Sun Jan 16 17:25:54 UTC 2011

Hi Folks,

I'm relatively new with OpenIndiana and I've got a query.

To explain, if I'm upgrading a ZFS set, one drive at a time, what I do is the
following...

Shut the system down and physically replace the drive. The old drive then goes
in the external caddy. That way, when the replace is complete, I can simply
power down the external caddy and remove the old drive.

Under OpenSolaris, when I did this, the system would recognise that the old
drive was in the external caddy and the set would be fine. I could then just
issue the replace command.

On trying this with OpenIndiana, however, the system marks the pool as
degraded and the drive, in its old position, as absent.

I can get around this by exporting and importing the pool again, then it picks
up the fact that the drive is on a different channel and I can issue the
replace command as usual.

Can someone take a moment to explain what I'm doing wrong please? I must have
missed something when I installed OpenIndiana.

Many thanks,

Michelle.