[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hyperthreading causing kernelpanic on oi_148

Albert Lee trisk at opensolaris.org
Tue Jan 18 19:44:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Gertjan Oude Lohuis
<gertjan at oudelohuis.nl> wrote:
> Eventually, disabling HyperThreading in the bios solved everything (except
> for my headache, but that's something else).
>

> * Is a buggy HT-implementation a known issue with Solaris? I've seen more
> than one panic/crash/bug, caused by hyperthreading.
> * Can I do anything else to debug this, for the good of mankind? I'm in a
> little hurry to get this machine in production, but I'd be happy to run some
> tests or provide more information.
> * Any other thoughts?

HT is implemented in the processor, not the OS, although it affects
the code paths used for CPU power management. It's unusual to find
problems exposed by SMT (HT) but not SMP since resources such as
caches are shared in the SMT case.

Appending the following line to /etc/system and booting again with -k
may give more details about the corruption:
set kmem_flags = 0xf

-Albert