[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sun Exlorer Replacement

Michael Schuster michaelsprivate at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 14:11:53 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 15:04, Bernd Helber
<bernd at helber-it-services.com> wrote:
> Hello fellow Readers.
>

> I'm not sure if you're all aware of the Sun Explorer Tool.
>
> It was a huge Shell Script used by Sun Support provided to Customers
>
> The package itself was/is called SUNWexplo.
>

> To provide proper Support for Open Indiana /Illumos , i would recommend
> that we should use something comparable.
>
> In case of searching for issues and problems in general it makes Life a
> lot easier, especially if you look for bugs/misconfigurations (call it
> what you wan)  on the system. ;)
>
> Sun itself had also  a parser which checked, the Customers Explorer
> Files and compared the outputs with patchlist/xrefs.

actually, there were (are?) several such tools written by various
engineers in various places - in one case, some of my co-workers in my
team while I was at Sun - trying to automate what you describe, and
lots more above that, from the ever-growing amount of information the
explorer provided.

I'm not aware of any of those tools being available outside of Oracle,
let alone freely distributable, but would welcome being proven wrong
here :-)

HTH
Michael
--