[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Dave Miner dminer at opensolaris.org
Thu Jan 20 15:49:43 UTC 2011

On 01/18/11 05:01 PM, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:

>>> We looked into this a little quite some time ago.  The problem
>>> with doing IPS-based installation from CD's or DVD's is that
>>> IPS's data access patterns during package installation are
>>> relatively random, not streaming, and so you will get utterly
>>> abysmal installation performance (orders of magnitude worse than
>>> anything you've ever used) when using physical CD or DVD media.
>>> That storage technology just isn't designed for random access.
>>> This doesn't apply much if you're using an ISO image as a virtual
>>> CD or using USB flash memory media.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>
>> Interesting.  Thanks, Dave.
>
> Yes - thank you for this info, very helpful!
>
>> One way around that is to do sort of a "two stage" install, where
>> the first stage, running from the CD installs a "bare minimum"
>> system (from a cpio image or whatever, to avoid the problems with
>> poor random-access to the CD).  Then for the second stage, boot
>> into the new bare-minimum system and finish the install from IPS,
>> perhaps allowing use of the CD as your repo, or a local copy, or
>> get it off the net...
>
> This sounds like something worth exploring.
>
> There are a few options here.. just thinking out loud, a possibility
> would be:
>
> 1. Install the minimal base via CPIO 2. If more packages are
> requested than base, then extract the pkg repo to ram (tmpfs) or
> local disk 3. Install the additional software requested via pkg
>
> This may bump the RAM or Disk space requirements to do an install,
> but the OS needs a lot of that to run anyway.

It will greatly increase both, in my experience, as any interesting
package repo would seem to be quite large (multiple GB) and pkg has
pretty substantial overhead in generating and executing a plan.  Really,
you'd probably be better off booting into the installed system before
adding more software.

Dave