[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS single drive CKSUM errors

Bernd Helber bernd at helber-it-services.com
Sat Jan 22 23:14:47 UTC 2011

Hi Michelle,

i assume you ran into Zpool Corruption, we experienced thos kind of
issues, when we migrated raw devices from UFS Volumes to ZFS Volumes

Another possible issue could be.. that the data was corrupted before you
copied it into your Zpool.

Do yourself a favor... try to reproduce it and have a look in
bugs.solaris.com or defect.solaris and look after Zpool Corruption.

If possible and you have time..

have a read about ZDB the Zfs Debugger... and search for the ZFS Überblock.

or a defected vdev.

Maybe its a controller issue too?

Hard to tell.

Am 22.01.11 23:08, schrieb Michelle Knight:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Something I don't understand.
>
> A single drive with a ZFS partition on it. No mirror, no raid, no nothing.
>
> I copied a load of files to it and did a scrub.
>
> It encountered six checksum errors and was able to recover from them ...
> without having any mirror or other redundant reference ... it didn't lose a
> single file.
>
> Now ... am I mad, or does this mean I've got corruption somewhere, or how did
> ZFS manage to recover from cksum errors that it detected on a single drive?
>
> I haven't managed to read anything yet which goes to the depth of explaining
> this.
>
> Can someone help me on this please?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Michelle.