[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to install a different OS version from scratch, NOT as an upgrade, in a separate BE (or however one might do it) on an OSol B134 machine

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Tue Jan 25 13:27:16 UTC 2011

I have an installation of OpenSolaris b134, with lots of addons: SunRay
Software, mplayer, VirtualBox... almost anything I could find got installed.
Make no mistake: it is ALL useful to me and my users, so there isn't
anything that can be removed out-of-hand.

But: We do want to move on! OI b148 is my target, right now.

I have tried to upgrade from OSol b134 to OI b147 or b148 since OI
became available. I have tried everything and it's aunts, to NO avail.

Is there a way to install a separate OI b148 from scratch? Like
installing from the bootable DVD iso, on the same machine, w/o
interfering with the existing OSol b134 environment.
Is there a way to create an empty Boot Environment and install onto
that? Or can one do it in some other, involved way?

Note:
In the last few months, I have received massive amounts of "advice" on
upgrading b134->b148, but none of the advice has been in any way useful.

SO:

I have given up on the upgrade path, at least unless someone can
actually provide some insight and/or sources of knowledge on how the
upgrade works, what could trip it up and what one can do to push past
any problems.