[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to install a different OS version from scratch, NOT as an upgrade, in a separate BE (or however one might do it) on an OSol B134 machine

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Tue Jan 25 14:31:28 UTC 2011

  I have the three bits of software you mention installed and had no
problem with the upgrade.  Just saying.  Not sure what else you are
having issues with....  In fact my system is more stable now (throws far
fewer core dumps anyway).

On 01/25/11 08:27 AM, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> I have an installation of OpenSolaris b134, with lots of addons:
> SunRay Software, mplayer, VirtualBox... almost anything I could find
> got installed.
> Make no mistake: it is ALL useful to me and my users, so there isn't
> anything that can be removed out-of-hand.
>
> But: We do want to move on! OI b148 is my target, right now.
>
> I have tried to upgrade from OSol b134 to OI b147 or b148 since OI
> became available. I have tried everything and it's aunts, to NO avail.
>
> Is there a way to install a separate OI b148 from scratch? Like
> installing from the bootable DVD iso, on the same machine, w/o
> interfering with the existing OSol b134 environment.
> Is there a way to create an empty Boot Environment and install onto
> that? Or can one do it in some other, involved way?
>

> Note:
> In the last few months, I have received massive amounts of "advice" on
> upgrading b134->b148, but none of the advice has been in any way useful.
>
> SO:
>
> I have given up on the upgrade path, at least unless someone can
> actually provide some insight and/or sources of knowledge on how the
> upgrade works, what could trip it up and what one can do to push past
> any problems.

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson