[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Deano deano at rattie.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 12:22:47 UTC 2011

I think Alasdair has been clear, Stable will be 148 with security patches
only. No matter what, how or even good reasons matter at this stage,
Stable-148 is effectively locked down bar security and critical fixes.

Best course of action is to get security helpers in, which will get Stable
out the door ASAP and then open up these discussion for the longer Stable
release schedules and choices, next one will be a biggy as we move to an
illumos core.

Doing this is a lot of work for the OI team, and (wo)manpower is short. If
anyone has a bit of spare time, volunteering for the security team would be
greatly appreciated (they will mentor if you've never done it before) or
filling wiki pages or even just filling in the HCL with any data on machines
you are running OI would help.

We are approaching the first major milestone of the OpenIndiana and illumos
projects, hopefully the second will follow fairly quickly and then we can
push forward with new and exciting developments :)

Just my 2p,
Deano