[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to document SMF facilities for an upstream package

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jan 28 00:45:59 UTC 2011

I've just completed writing a spec file to build an IPS package for
the ISC DHCP server.  I haven't made any changes to the source for
this product, and don't want to.  That should all be done upstream.
The man pages describe the product nicely, except that they omit any
mention of the startup procedure.  This may not be much of a problem
for conventional init.d scripts, but it is for recent Solaris releases
because SMF is used for these.  How should I document the SMF
facilities?

First of all the FMRI for the service must be documented somewhere.
As well, there are generally a number of SMF properties that are
needed to configure the service.  In addition, there may be RBAC
privileges that are needed to operate the service.  How should all of
these be documented?  Should I modify the upstream man pages after
all?  Should I create a separate man page that applies only to the SMF
service?  What should it be called?  Should I document them in some
other way?