[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to install a different OS version from scratch, NOT as an upgrade, in a separate BE (or however one might do it) on an OSol B134 machine

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Fri Jan 28 11:44:25 UTC 2011

<In a fit of desperation and suicidal behaviour, I wrote>

>I have tried to upgrade from OSol b134 to OI b147 or b148 since OI
>became available. I have tried everything and it's aunts, to NO avail.

ACTUALLY I have defeated this problem now...

I did the following (in case you get the same kind of whine from
somebody else):

First I removed a few packages from contrib, that depended on "entire",
and second I cleared out a few dead repositories.

Then:

beadm create 134forOI
beadm mount 134forOI /a
pkg -R /a uninstall consolidation/ips/ips-incorporation
pkg -R /a image-update -f -v
pkg -R /a install -v package/pkg (and the other pkg related things.

and after that the 134forOI BE actually contains a runnable b148. I am
actually running that as I write.

HOWEVER: There are still major issues with various incorporations in the
b148 BE, preventing the removal and/or upgrade of various packages such
as the gnome/locale/fr package...

So, there is probably a better fix, more general than the above
uninstall command.
If anyone can suggest how one might attack this, please tell me.