[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cannot get static IP network setup to work

Daniel Kvasnička daniel.kvasnicka.jr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 14:25:18 UTC 2011

Hey,

thanks for the info. I did not get it to work, neither this way nor having /etc/hostname.<dev>.
The "route" command said something about the network being unreachable, so I think I'll have to contact the people running that VPS and ask them to check their config.
However I wanted to be able to use NWAM to do that when it's available.

As for the GUI discussion. First, the server does not have unlimited RAM, so whatever is not necessary is redundant. Second, it just doesn't seem right to me to have to have GUI to get static IP working (even though it might be a problem outside of the system). Don't get me wrong -- I'm a Mac guy, I know how much difference does a good GUI make. But I just wanted to be able to have a text-only OI install and know how to get things going. Self-study :)
Maybe I'll have them load a GUI OI distro for me and after setting things up, I'll just "svcadm disable gdm" :)

Dan

--
http://www.danielkvasnicka.net