[OpenIndiana-discuss] Missing Intel NIC Driver on OpenIndiana oi_148

Okky Hendriansyah mawcikurl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 07:30:31 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I've been monitoring this mailing list since day one, and I kept getting
interested with OpenIndiana. Tried to install it on my old machine, most of
the devices were detected and the system running smoothly. So I think it's
about time I move to a younger, stronger system.

I just recently build a new rig for mostly virtualization lab and storage.
It's a Sandy Bridge platform, with Intel motherboard (Intel DH67GD). Since
it has an onboard Intel PRO Gigabit NIC (Intel 82579V), I was very confident
it wouldn't have any installation issue or performance with OpenIndiana. It
turned out that there are some missing drivers when I ran Driver Utility
during Live DVD of OpenIndiana oi_148. For my surprise, one of the missing
drivers is the onboard NIC! So I cancelled the installation and tried other
distro and operating system to make sure that it wasn't a hardware defect
issue.

Both OpenSolaris 2009.06 Live CD and Ubuntu 10.04 Live CD were also having
the same issue. Furthermore I tried to install it with Windows 7, install
its NIC drivers from Intel and whoila the NIC appeared and worked
flawlessly. I also tried installing Ubuntu 10.10 and it successfully detect
the adapter. Are there any missing steps that I overlooked on installing
OpenIndiana? Shouldn't Intel NIC drivers support in OpenIndiana came out of
the box right from its Live DVD session? Tonight I will try to install it
with Solaris 11 Express and see if it recognizes the NIC.

Are there any output from a command that I should put in here for further
investigation?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Okky Hendriansyah