[OpenIndiana-discuss] ntpd not keeping time in sync

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Sat Jul 9 20:53:08 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark [mailto:mark0x01 at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2011 4:51 PM
To: openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] ntpd not keeping time in sync

 >On 10/07/2011 5:43 a.m., Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
>
> No, I think he meant resetting the time in the BIOS of the VM.

If this is a virtual server, then it is "normal" and the drift will
depend on physical server load.

The physical timers used by the kernel to keep accurate period counts
used for local clock don't exist, and the "virtual" replacements don't
offer much precision.
The host server's cmos clock isn't referenced.

This phenomenon is well documented by VMWare, and outcome varies from
one OS to the next, depending on how they derive time.

*** But he is talking about ntpd not being able to keep time to within one
hour.  I'm sorry, that is NOT normal.