[OpenIndiana-discuss] rsync problems: out of memory

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Fri Jul 15 16:55:31 UTC 2011

I've seen that happen to other people too.

If your directory is really "flat" (millions of files in one directory, no subdirectories), you're out of luck unless you rearrange it.  If your directory is not flat, then break up the job into multiple rsyncs that don't overlap.  As I recall, their situation was relatively easy in that there was a level at which they could break it up into workable pieces and only be dealing with subdirectories, not files at that leve; so they could script their way out of their problem.

Compiling the latest rsync source for yourself (for both ends) doesn't hurt.  I had to do that for my Mac, where of all things the rsync version was too old to support extended attributes (strange, since the Mac's HFS+ filesystem has supported them pretty much forever).  But scaling difficulties is a different situation than missing features, so I don't mean to suggest that the newest version will be magically ok even at the level of multimillion file runs; it probably won't be.