[OpenIndiana-discuss] Shorter subjects for mailing lists

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 15:47:24 UTC 2011

Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> Just [oi] sounds good - it'll let us identify mails visually, though
> having said that, I now wonder how important that is.
>
> On Gmail on my Blackberry, I'm able to see the entire subject line,
> but my responses come through as top-posts :(
>
> -- Sriram
>
> On 7/13/11, Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net> wrote:

>>> I have my mail app on half my screen and with my current setup the subject
>>> I see is "Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Shorter su..."
>>>
>>> My suggestion is to change the subject prefix in the list software from
>>> "[OpenIndiana-discuss]" to "[oi-disc]" and that will reclaim a lot of
>>> subject line real estate all by itself.
>> My suggestion would be to use just "oi" for the general discussion list
>> and leave hyphen whatever for more specialized lists, e.g. oi-dev,
>> oi-bugs, etc.
There are multiple mailing lists in Openindiana, and proposal to
shorting subjects on them
 goes firstly for the rest of the list subjects, not just
openindiana-discuss.

Subjects starting llike this:
[Caiman-team] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #1024] (New)....
[G11n-team] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #1084] ...
[Jds-team] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #879] ...
[Pkg-team] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #879] ...
[Sfw-team] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #1206] ...
[Xnv-team] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Bug #1135] (New) ...
should be shorter.

Subjects like this:
[OpenIndiana-New-developers]
[OpenIndiana-discuss]
Could be /and could not be made shorter,
mainly since discuss is the OI main mailing list.

While this ones maybe do not need shortening:
[oi-infra]
[oi-dev]

So the problem with big subjects is for relatively recently added
groups, where OpenIndiana could be shortened to OI and Distribution to
Dis or something,  subject could work without the word "Bug" and all
those blank spaces in between like this:
[Caiman-team] [OI-Dis-B#1024] (New)....
[G11n-team] [OI-Dis-B#1084] ...
[Jds-team] [OI-Dis-B#879] ...
[Pkg-team] [OI-Dis-B#879] ...