[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS server stops authenticating users

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Wed Jul 27 06:27:30 UTC 2011

On 26 Jul 2011, at 21:51, Gordon Ross wrote:

> Generally, that means the local account is not found or the password is wrong.
> Did you look in /var/smb/smbpasswd?

That's what I thought at first, except I traced the code and that isn't the case. It fails all users in smbpasswd too :-(

The logic of the code I mentioned shows that smbd is calling smb_pwd_getpwnam() successfully, and calling smb_auth_validate_nt successfully (dtrace rocks!). It just goes wrong after doing that, critically (I think) failing to call smb_token_setup_local().

Is there a way to configure smbd to only advertise NTLMv2? I noticed that NTLM (ie v1) is being used, and maybe that's enough of a change to make it work.

Chris