[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS server stops authenticating users

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Wed Jul 27 15:48:28 UTC 2011

On 27 Jul, 2011,at 03:42 PM, Gordon Ross <gordon.w.ross at gmail.com> wrote:

> I saw a case where idmap failures caused an auth. failure like this.
> The authentication actually succeeded, but the idmap lookups need to
> build the local token failed, so the logon returned failure. Dtrace
> should show you that...

I don't think it is getting as far as idmap as dtrace doesn't show any attempt to even *call* one of the two token-building functions (smb_token_setup_local or smb_token_setup_guest) as smb_token_auth_local is returning 0x010f, which is != NT_STATUS_SUCCESS. But I cannot see how smb_token_auth_local can return that value.

<http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/lib/smbsrv/libmlsvc/common/smb_logon.c#471>

The other odd thing I noticed is that smbd is using NTLMv1 to check passwords. If the smb/server has the lmauth_level property set to 4, shouldn't it be requiring NTLMv2? (Client box is Windows 2003 sp2).

Chris