[OpenIndiana-discuss] Java 7

Gary Driggs gdriggs at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 22:31:11 UTC 2011

On Jul 31, 2011, at 2:48 PM, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> The problem in this instance is that Sun DID open source many cool things and post Sun take over Oracle has been systematically "undoing" Sun's open source gifting via a variety of "innovative" tactics at pretty much every chance they can,

If I understand things correctly, part of the problem at Sun involved their bizarre sales bonus policy that was based on volume instead of profit.

> often in tandem with exorbitant increases in licensing fees.  And for that they have earned much well deserved criticism.

Have you ever paid support for AIX or HP/UX and the hardware it runs on? Solaris prices may seem exorbitant by x86 standards but they're still quite competitive with other enterprise big- or bi-endian architectures.

> Additionally, it would be a far stretch to construe criticism of Oracle corporate policies enacted by upper management to extend to rank and file employees who

That said, one might suggest that the golden parachuted former Sun Microsystems upper management is responsible for steering the company in to the weeds in the first place. And I didn't see Apple or Google making a bid for Sun (despite several aborted Apple/Sun mergers). So without someone to take them out of their nose dive, Sun assets would have ended up as just another large patent portfolio for sale a la Nortel.

-Gary