[OpenIndiana-discuss] oracle gives openoffuce to apache

Ignacio Marambio Catán darkjoker at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 16:12:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Gabriel de la Cruz
<gabriel.delacruz at gmail.com> wrote:
> The name is the only thing Oracle owns at this moment...
> The rest is out there alrready.
>
> What they should do is to donate the trademark to the document foundation
> and stop messing around with the thing.
>
> :-O

Oracle owns much more than the name, just because it's GPL or whatever
does not mean you can do whatever you want with it. you can certainly
fork it as has been done but the license has to be respected.
Trademarks have value, how could oracle's management justify letting
that go to their shareholders and avoid being sued in the process?

nacho