[OpenIndiana-discuss] oracle gives openoffuce to apache

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Fri Jun 3 16:58:16 UTC 2011

On Jun 3, 2011, at 12:15 PM, Michael Kerpan wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Tom Kranz <tom at siliconbunny.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 3 Jun 2011, at 03:44, Mark Humphreys wrote:
>>
>>> TDP does make the source code available.  It should just be a matter of
>>> determining dependencies, if any, and compiling.
>>
>> Yes, it *should* be. Having tried to build this stuff on IRIX - stupid amounts of work. TDP have not been working with portability in mind.
>
> Given that it works on FreeBSD, NetBSD, Linux, OS X and even Windows,
> itceratinly seems pretty portable to me. The problems with IRIX may
> come more from the fact that the IRIX devtools and build environment
> are horribly out of date since the product has been abandoned by its
> owners...

That's possible.  But for any port not actually being built by the core folks, even if the code is there, anything (including makefiles, etc) specific to that port is getting stale unless someone is maintaining it _and_ their changes are returned and incorporated.

Not saying one group of folks has to personally support every platform. Just saying that one site _ought_ to reach out to folks that want it on more platforms and work with them.  Is that happening?  I don't know.  Neither of my SPARCs is really set up to be a build server (they're doing other things, and I like 'em fine the way they are, mostly), and my (x86)  Mac doesn't have enough RAM to do x86 builds in VirtualBox.
Maybe if my next Mac has 16GB RAM rather than 3GB (usable), I'd consider it then, since it would be no big deal to set up a virtual build machine however it needed to be to do the builds, since it wasn't as if I'd use it for anything else anyway.