[OpenIndiana-discuss] Kind of stuffed up my build, any recommendations to fix?

Scott O'Brien king.scott.2 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 01:27:43 UTC 2011

G'Day Everyone,

I pretty much stuffed up my build.  I'm building in a Mini-ITX form factor so was limited to parts when it came to the motherboard.  I ended up going with a motherboard that had 4 SATA ports (two at 6 Gbit/s and the other two at 3 Gbit/s)

These SATA ports were going to be used for my ZFS storage pool and I had purchased another SDD drive for the OS and L2ARC.  As I was buying all my gear from the same shop, I looked for a PCIe card that was ran by a supported chipset.  Long story short I tried to use the RocketHybrid1220, a 6Gb/s controller for the SSD, but the installer didn't see the drive and doing an iostat -En failed to display it.  Going into the controllers BIOS, it looks like I need to configure a hybrid array before it will give any disk I/O to the OS (darn hey :P)

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/168150/HARD_DISK_CONTROLLERS_SERIAL_ATA_CONTROLLERS/HighPoint/RocketHybrid1220.asp

So my questions are as follows:
  * Would plugging the SSD into one of the 6Gbit/s ports for the OS, then using an eSATA to SATA cable to connect up one of the internal drives up for the array be a good idea (it's certainly the cheapest!)?
  * If using eSATA on my ZFS pool is a bad idea, and I should be replacing the PCIe SATA controller with something that will work? (Can someone link me to an exact item?  Not a chipset, I've not had the best luck with choosing parts like that :P)
  * Who (in Australia) wants to buy a cheap RocketHybrid 1220 controller? :P

Cheers,
Scotty O