[OpenIndiana-discuss] replacing a failed drive?

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Wed Jun 8 18:39:28 UTC 2011

Trying to help someone on a public forum.  He is trying out OI per my
advice.  He has a two-vdev raidz2 pool, with one spare drive.  One drive
apparently died, so it is showing as removed.  He was surprised the
spare didn't kick in.  I told him to do 'zpool replace POOL OLDDEV
NEWDEV'.  He did and got "cannot replace c5t7d0 with c2t1d0: devices
have different sector alignment".  I had him do a 'prtvtoc' on both
devices, and they look absolutely identical!  This doesn't look right,
does it?  I'm having him try a couple of things: 1) use the '-f' flag to
try to force it, or 2) power off, unplug the dead drive, plug the spare
into the same slot and reboot (possibly doing 'zpool replace POOL
OLDDEV'.  Any thoughts?