[OpenIndiana-discuss] Backups and snapshots

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Fri Jun 10 20:08:16 UTC 2011

On 6/10/11 4:04 PM, Gregory Youngblood wrote:
> I also prefer NFS for exporting to Linux/Solaris/Unix. Can use to export to Mac as well, though AFP would allow the mac to use the share as a time machine; I dont think NFS does.
You can use a pretty wide array of storage back-ends for Time Machine,
actually. Wish I had the link handy but I saw some benchmarks recently
of a Mac client connecting to zfs backed server through several
supported protocols: smb, nfs, afp. Performance-wise, using afp wiped
the floor with the other two.  But it takes a little more work to set it up.