[OpenIndiana-discuss] Backups and snapshots

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Fri Jun 10 20:22:32 UTC 2011

So NFS wins over iscsi, as I see.
Is it safe to run postgres and mysql data over nfs?
I know, windows is a different story, sqlserver must run its data on iscsi or real hd...
Da: Dan Swartzendruber
A: Discussion list for OpenIndiana
Data: 10 giugno 2011 22.05.22 CEST
Oggetto: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Backups and snapshots
Magnus wrote:
On 6/10/11 3:56 PM, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
Thanx for the reply ;)
I read somewhere that NFS is much slower than having an iscsi device.
Somewherelse they said the contrary....
I think a lot of it can do with the clients being used. But in my
experience here, zfs backed iscsi targets are on-par with NFS on read
performance, but lag badly on write performance. NFS clients perform
pretty well in both read &write operations.
ESX seems to like its vmdk's on NFS more than iSCSI here.
Agreed.  I have seen ESXi get finicky if it thinks the iSCSI target is
offline.  One gotcha: it depends if the iSCSI storage is a file or a
zvol.  Performance of the former seemed to be about that of NFS -
performance of the latter sucked (I was seeing about a 50% degradation...)