[OpenIndiana-discuss] VirtualBox on OI host

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Jun 16 00:27:32 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 03:54 PM, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
> Hello,
> a couple of years ago I was building my VMs with OpenSolaris + VirtualBox 3.x, then
> I had to abandon my project because of instabilities of VB expecially whth Windows Server guests.
> With a lot of sadness I had to rely on VMWare for production systems, with the drawback that
> standalone VMWare hosts (the ones without a ZFS storage) cannot benefit of the ZFS filesystem on the host to make snapshots and so on.
> How does VB4.x behaves on OI? Anybody uses it?
> Maybe the new combination makes it a production ready approach?
> Gabriele.

As I have previously posted on this list, no problems with vbox 3.x on
oi_147 with Windows Server 2007. I have yet to experience instability
with vbox. I don't know why you have instabilities, but I have no
problems with OI, vbox or the Windows os installation. What problems I
did encounter were limited to the Softlink Oliver library software.

Maybe your problems are hardware related and not with OI/OpenSolaris/vbox.