[OpenIndiana-discuss] Setting up Samba 3.5.9

CJ Keist cj.keist at colostate.edu
Sat Jun 18 21:34:49 UTC 2011

Hello,
     New user with OpenIndian for a new file server.  Installed
OpenIndiana Development oi_148 X86
with all latest updates.  From what I understand is there is no root
account, only a root role is that right?  Problem is that when you
install Samba and Swat, you need root account to login to Swat to get
full admin access to configure Samba.  I cannot get logged into Swat
with root.  How do you go about enabling root account on OpenIndiana or
creating a root like account for Samba?  I tried creating an account
manually with uid and gid of 0, but still couldn't log in to Swat.

By way I installed Samba 3.5.9 from source to /opt directory.

C. J. Keist                     Email: cj.keist at colostate.edu
Systems Group Manager           Solaris 10 OS (SAI)
Engineering Network Services    Phone: 970-491-0630
College of Engineering, CSU     Fax:   970-491-5569
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1301

All I want is a chance to prove 'Money can't buy happiness'