[OpenIndiana-discuss] Question about drive LEDs

Mark mark0x01 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 00:27:34 UTC 2011

On 19/06/2011 7:49 a.m., Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a few machines setup with OI 148, and I can't make the LEDs on the drives work when something goes bad. The chassies are supermicro ones, and work well, normally. Any idea how to make drive LEDs wirk with this setup?

Hi Roy,

There is no support in the OS, on generic hardware, for this sort of
functionality.

It "could" be coded in on most systems where ses and ipmi support is
present, since much of the functionality is present, but doing this this
'way' outside my comfort zone.

LSI 6gb IT mode HBA's don't support ses at present.

Cmd line tools to blink led's will probably be available in the next
Sol11 release.

For compatible lsi sas2 controllers, sas2ircu supports a locate function
blink leds.

As an aside, I have built a fully functional "7210 Unified Storage
Server Clone" running on Supermicro hardware and some customised
definitions in the management software to match the new hardware.
That setup fully supported drive locator and failure indications, so the
generic hardware can do it with the right software.

Mark.