[OpenIndiana-discuss] can't run updates, says live image

Philip J. Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 10:24:38 UTC 2011

I just ran into the same problem as Michelle.

I installed the "OpenIndiana Build 148 x86 Live USB for dd" aka "oi-dev-148-x86.usb.writable-with-dd" via a USB flash drive to a SATA SSD. The install worked as expected, but when I run the Update Manager I get this error message:

Preparing...
Ensuring Update Manager is up to date...
Refreshing catalog openindiana.org
Refreshing catalog opensolaris.org
Finished refreshing catalog opensolaris.org
Gathering package information

Error:
This is an Live Image. The install operation can't be performed.

This is after shutting down, removing the flash drive and booting from the SSD—which is the only drive in the system.

Phil
--
"What do you think of the Macintosh now?"
It is the least unsatisfactory personal computer I know of, but that's an easy win, considering the competition. — Jay Freeman