[OpenIndiana-discuss] branding for illumos/openindiana

Blake blake.irvin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 23:53:03 UTC 2011

Does anyone besides me feel that we need a more unified naming/branding
approach for the community-driven descendants of OpenSolaris? I feel that
the there is no obvious connection (for those new to the platform) between
Illumos/OpenIndiana, which I think is counterproductive given that
OpenIndiana is sort of the 'Fedora Core' of Illumos.

Some possible names:

Illumos Live

Illumos Core

Illumos [version_number] - [adjective] [animal]

(kidding about the last one)

I think OpenIndiana is great, I just don't think that the name 'Indiana'
means anything to anyone and isn't very memorable.

Blake