[OpenIndiana-discuss] [illumos-Discuss] branding for illumos/openindiana

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Tue Jun 21 00:44:44 UTC 2011

I've been reticent to say anything as a newcomer, but a six syllable name doesn't exactly roll off the tip of the tongue. Not to mention, any relevance to "Indiana" is probably lost upon a broader audience.

"Open" is pretty played out as a prefix.

The whole thing should be two, maybe three syllables at most. Pfft. Done.

I'll still use it even if it's called Antidisestablishmentarianix. But it'll be a tough sell to the boss.

(PS I was in this same discussion years ago when a Linux distribution changed its name from cAosity to CentOS. I think you know the rest.)

-M