[OpenIndiana-discuss] [illumos-Discuss] branding for illumos/openindiana

Gabriel de la Cruz gabriel.delacruz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 09:33:57 UTC 2011

Absolutely we need branding, we need to start working on proper websites for
both projects (here I include Illumos), and we need to start approaching the
marketing question.

I got used to the illumos name, I still find openindiana a pretey unsexy
name, but we can go on with it if we cheer up other aspects of the
trademark.

I sugested time ago to turn the "i" upside down and trun it into an
exclamation "!", this would make O! instead of OI, with a proper tipeface it
is still posible to read it as an i.   The dot of the exclamation mark
should be below the bottom line of the word, sorry I cannot ilustrate that
on plain text. I would paste the words togeter but use different collor for
"open" and "indiana" open!ndana.
Anyway "O" stands for open, and the excalmation mark enphasized the opening.

The indiana part of open!ndiana points out to opensolaris past, even if it
reminds some very local american lifestyle.... Not fantastic but we can go
with it.
This way we have a logo O!  and a trademark open!ndiana.

I think we need the illumos trademark to be very visible all around. It must
be clear that Oi (O!) runs on illumos

I have liferay servers that I could offer for hosting a decent website for
the project, some profesional designers, and we could code some java
banners, menus and such. This could be deployed rather fast.

I liked Garret´s t-shirt on the videos, I would sugest to redraw the bird a
bit.

Feel free to contact if you have some sugestions.

Cheers,

gab